Embark on a culinary journey to Spain with the exquisite Ensaimadas – delectable rolls that are nothing short of a gastronomic masterpiece!
Picture a symphony of flavors and textures, each bite taking you to the heart of Spanish culinary delight. These heavenly rolls, a perfect blend of European finesse and American indulgence, promise to elevate your taste buds to new heights. With a luscious dough and delightful fillings, these Ensaimadas are a testament to the artistry of Spanish baking. Let’s dive into the recipe, where every step brings us closer to savoring the magic of these delightful rolls!
For the Dough:
- 300 g (2 1/2 cups) flour
- 1 tsp dry yeast
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) warm water
- 100 g (1/2 cup) very soft butter
- Filling of your choice (canned cherries; grated pumpkin + sugar + cinnamon; apples)
- Powdered sugar
- In a mixer bowl, combine flour, yeast, salt, sugar, and mix. Add the remaining ingredients, mix with a spoon, then knead the dough with a dough hook until elastic for about 10 minutes. The dough should be soft but not sticky. Transfer the dough to an oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let it rise until doubled.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Divide the risen dough into 4 parts.
- Grease the working surface with butter. Take a portion of the dough and roll it into a rectangle (approximately 27*38 cm).
- Spread it generously with softened butter.
- Place the filling along the longer side and start rolling the dough into a spiral. Shape it into a roll.
- Place the roll on the baking sheet, and lightly brush the top with a small amount of butter. Repeat this process with the remaining dough. Let the rolls rise for another 30-40 minutes in a warm place. Preheat the oven to 180°C (356°F).
- Bake the rolls for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Sprinkle the hot rolls with powdered sugar and transfer them to a cooling rack.
Enjoy your delightful Ensaimadas!