This sauce is a crowd pleaser… full of flavor and the perfect compliment to a well-seasoned chicken breast. I highly recommend making this cheesy chicken recipe in a cast iron skillet or iron skillet or enamel fry pan. Both are oven safe. Skillets tend to be a favorite of mine, especially with chicken. The skillet heats evenly and helps cook the chicken to perfection!
HOW TO MAKE CHEESY CHICKEN?
One thing to note in this cheesy chicken recipe is timing; the chicken does need to marinate, so I would plan on preparing the Honey Mustard Marinade in the morning or early afternoon. If you need to you can also prepare the marinade the night before and marinate overnight.
For the cheesy chicken, I chose to use only Monterey Jack cheese but you can also add cheddar or whatever kind of cheese you have handy (within reason obviously).
WHAT CAN I SERVE WITH THIS CHEESY CHICKEN RECIPE?
I am telling you… this Cheesy Bacon Chicken with Mustard Sauce is AHmazing. I like to serve this chicken recipe with green beans and then pour some of the sauce over the beans as well. You could also try this cheesy chicken recipe with Browned Butter Brussel Sprouts. We also love to dip our homemade no yeast breadsticks in the sauce. They are so easy to make and pair perfectly with any saucy dish:)
- 1/2 cup mustard yellow
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 slices bacon cooked
- 1 teaspoon pepper McCormick’s Peppercorn Medley Grinder works amazingly
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- In a medium bowl, combine mustard, honey, oil, and lemon juice. Using a fork or small whisk, mix for about 30 seconds or until all ingredients are well mixed.
- Place 8 pieces of bacon on a baking sheet lined with foil and bake for about 15 minutes at 425 degrees F. When bacon is done (slightly crispy but not burnt, you will be baking it again later) remove from oven and set aside to cool. (This can be done well in advance)
- Place chicken breasts on a large plate or small baking dish. Pour 2/3 of the marinade over the chicken. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- Chill the remaining marinade until later.
- When you are ready to prepare the chicken, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Place skillet on the stove over medium-high heat and pour in oil. Cook the chicken in the pan for 3-4 minutes per side or until golden brown. (seared- you will be baking it more)
- Turn heat off and remove skillet.
- Brush each seared chicken breast with a little of the reserved extra honey mustard marinade, being sure to save a little extra that you can serve on the side later with the dish.
- Stack two pieces of cooked bacon on each chicken breast.
- Spread 1/2 cup of Monterey Jack cheese into each breast.
- Bake the skillet of chicken for 5-7 minutes or until the cheese is thoroughly melted and chicken juices run clear.
- Put extra honey mustard marinade into a small bowl to serve on the side.