Looking for a new and exciting way to enjoy your favorite veggies? These Mediterranean-inspired eggplant-filled tomatoes are sure to become a new favorite. The juicy tomatoes are filled with tender roasted eggplant, seasoned with fresh thyme, and topped with savory parmesan cheese. The combination of flavors and textures is absolutely mouth-watering!
- 2 large eggplants (500g)
- 50ml olive oil
- 30g parmesan cheese, grated
- 6 elongated tomatoes
- Fresh thyme
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Rinse and dry the tomatoes, cut them in half lengthwise.
- Heat a little olive oil in a pan and briefly fry the tomato halves on both sides (about 1 minute per side).
- Place the tomatoes cut side down on a wire rack for about 20 minutes to let the excess liquid drain.
- Brush the eggplants with olive oil and roast them in a preheated oven at 180°C for 18-20 minutes.
- Let the eggplants cool down a bit, then remove the skin and dice the flesh.
- Put the eggplant cubes in a sieve or colander for about 10 minutes to drain any excess liquid.
- Transfer the eggplant to a bowl and mix it with the remaining olive oil, thyme leaves, salt, and pepper.
- Remove the seeds and flesh from the tomato halves to create “boats”.
- Spoon the eggplant filling into the tomato boats, and sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese.
- Serve and enjoy!
These delicious tomato boats are perfect for a light lunch or dinner, and they’re so easy to make! With the perfect balance of flavors and textures, this recipe is sure to impress your family and friends.