This Mongolian beef slow cooks to tender, melt in your mouth perfection. This takes minutes to throw into the crock-pot and has such amazing flavor! One of the best things that you will make in your slow cooker!
If you love restaurant Mongolian Beef, this super easy make at home rendition will make take-out obsolete.
Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef
Garlic, soy-sauce and brown sugar come together to create a caramelized sauce that coats tender juicy pieces of steak for uncompromising flavor. Slow cooking the beef ensures that it’ll be delicate and succulent. Mongolian Beef is known to be sweet and savory in every bite!
This is hands down one of the BEST things that I have ever made in my slow cooker. EVER. I love having such an easy meal that I can throw in the crock pot in the morning and have a restaurant worthy meal for the family in the evening. This slow cooker Mongolian Beef is one of my go-to recipes.
Mongolian Beef Ingredients:
First of all this is SO easy to make with minimal ingredients. It is simple yet full of so much flavor! It took me less than 5 minutes to throw it in the slow cooker.
- Flank Steak: Sirloin can be substituted here but stay away from stew meat.
- Corn Starch: This acts as a natural tenderizer for the beef.
- Olive Oil: Canola can be used here as well.
- Garlic: Minced or chopped will give the most flavor.
- Soy Sauce: Low sodium soy sauce can be used here with no compromise to flavor.
- Water: This will help make it saucy.
- Brown Sugar: Light or dark brown sugar are both great in the sauce.
- Carrots: Grate the carrots making sure not to make them too small or they turn to mush.
- Green Onions: Optional garnish, but make a stunning topping.
How to Make Mongolian Beef in a Slow Cooker:
The beef literally just melts in your mouth! It cooks so tender in the slow cooker. And then the sauce is incredible. As I was eating this I kept thinking… there is no way that you could make this and not fall in love!
- Cut and Coat: Cut the flank steak thinly and across the grain to ensure a tender bite. Place in a ziplock bag with the cornstarch and shake, making sure to coat the beef evenly.
- Add ingredients to the Slow Cooker: Mix the oil, garlic, soy sauce, water, brown sugar and carrots in the slow cooker.
- Coat the Beef: Stir the beef into the slow cooker making sure it’s well coated
- Cook: Set on high for 2-3 hours or on low for 4-6 hours.
Tips and Variations:
Everything about this Mongolian recipe is perfect and I know that it will become a family favorite at your house just like it did at ours!
- Chicken or Pork: This recipe is very flexible. You can use Chicken Breasts or Pork Tenderloin. Again cut evenly and thinly.
- Veggies: Roast broccoli, green beans or asparagus then stir in at the end before serving over rice to add texture and nutrition.
- Instant Pot: This is easily converts to a quick Instant Pot recipe. Saute the steak on high before adding the sauce ingredients and cooking on manual for 10 min. Quick release pressure and enjoy!
How to Store Leftovers:
If you have any leftovers, you can have this 5 star restaurant dish at your table now and again later.
- Fridge: Sealed container for up to four days
- Freezer: Put leftovers in an air-tight container or freezer ziplock bag for up to 4 months.
- Lunch: Break into single servings for a quick warm up in the microwave for lunch.
- 1 ½ pounds Flank Steak
- ¼ cups cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- ½ teaspoons Garlic mince, Cloves
- ¾ cups Soy Sauce
- ¾ cups Water
- ¾ cups Brown Sugar
- 1 cup Carrots grated
- green onions for garnish
- Cut flank steak into thin strips. In a ziplock bag add flank steak pieces and cornstarch. Shake to coat.
- Add olive oil, minced garlic, soy sauce, water, brown sugar and carrots to slow cooker. Stir ingredients. Add coated flank steak and stir again until coated in the sauce.
- Cook in a slow cooker for high 2-3 hours or on low 4-5 hours until cooked throughout and tender. Can serve over rice and garnish with green onions.