This Chicken Stroganoff has a thick and savory sauce with large chunks of seasoned chicken and tons of earthy mushroom slices. Definitely bursting with flavor!
We like to take our time with this Chicken Stroganoff recipe. Allowing the dish to simmer gives the flavors time to soak into the chicken and will make you want to savor every last bite. Make sure to have some bread around to sop up any leftover sauce! Check out this amazing recipe for no yeast breadsticks. They are perfect to sop up the leftover gravy! Season with garlic salt for an amazing pairing!
CHICKEN STROGANOFF RECIPE
Want to dress it up even more? How about making your own egg noodles? Check out our homemade egg noodle recipe. Also, we love to use our leftovers when we make slow cooker rotisserie chicken in this recipe. The seasonings from the rotisserie chicken blend great with the gravy in this chicken stroganoff recipe.
SLOW COOKER CHICKEN STROGANOFF
If you were hoping to make this in the slow cooker you are in luck. You basically just skip cooking the chicken.
Follow these directions for Slow Cooker Chicken Stroganoff:
- In a crockpot, add the chicken, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, cayenne, salt, and pepper and mix to coat evenly.
- In a frying pan, heat 2 tablespoons of oil until shimmering. Add the onion and cook until softened.
- Next, drop in the garlic and cook until fragrant, which will take about 30 seconds. Add the mushrooms and cook until browned.
- Stir in the butter until melted and scrape any brown crust from the bottom of the pan.
- Add the flour and stir until no lumps remain. Add this mixture to the crockpot, along with the chicken broth, Worcestershire sauce, and sour cream.
- Cook on low for 4 hours.
CHICKEN STROGANOFF WITH RICE
The great debate, noodles, or rice. We serve it over egg noodles, homemade or store-bought, but it’s just as delicious over rice. We recommend using Jasmine, but any variety of long grain rice will work.
- 1 pound chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- Cooked egg noodles
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnishing
- In a medium bowl, mix together the chicken, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, heat 2 tablespoons of oil until shimmering. Cook the chicken just until the outside is browned (you will finish cooking it later), working in batches if necessary. Transfer to a clean plate.
- To the now-empty skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil until shimmering. Add the onion and cook until softened. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until browned. Stir in the butter until melted, scraping up any brown bits. Add the flour and stir until no lumps remain.
- Pour in the chicken broth, followed by the Worcestershire sauce. Add the chicken along with any juices. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and let simmer until thickened.
- Stir in the sour cream until incorporated and creamy.
- Serve hot over cooked egg noodles and garnish with fresh parsley.