This Orange Shrimp and Crab stuffed Roasted Butternut Squash makes an elegant, yet simple, presentation for Thanksgiving.. This entree may be served as an entree or as a side dish.
Number of servings 4
- 1 (2 pound) butternut squash
- Cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup fresh orange juice, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- 8 ounces peeled and deveined medium shrimp
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces lump crab meat
- Garnish: orange slices and additional thinly sliced green onions
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut the butternut squash lengthwise into 4 wedges.
- Remove the seeds and place the squash in a 9 X 12 baking dish that has been coated with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle the squash with ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- Pour ¼ cup orange juice over the squash. Cover and bake for 40 minutes and until fork tender.
- During the last 15 minutes of baking, prepare the Orange Shrimp and Crab.
- Arrange the butternut squash wedges on a serving platter, cut side up.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the green onions and garlic and saut for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining ¼ cup orange juice, orange zest, shrimp and remaining salt and pepper.
- Simmer for 6-7 minutes and the shrimp begins to turn pink. Add the heavy cream and simmer an additional minute. Gently stir in the lump crab meat for an additional two minutes.
- Divide and spoon the Orange Shrimp and Crab on top of the roasted butternut squash.
- Garnish the platter with orange slices and sprinkle all with additional thinly sliced green onions.