- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 4 large eggs and another 1 large egg with white and yolk separated
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp fresh kalamansi or lemon juice
- 1 can condensed milk (14oz)
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar and salt. Mix well. Add butter and mix thoroughly with other ingredients using a pastry mixer.
- Gradually add the cold water to the mixture. Continue mixing until all the ingredients are well combined.
- Gather and shape the dough into a large ball. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- On a clean flat surface sprinkled with flour, flatten the dough using a rolling pin into about ½ centimeter thick and wide enough to cover a 9″ pie pan/dish (I broke my pie dish so I just use a regular round baking pan).
- Arrange and press the flattened dough on the baking pan or pie dish. Use kitchen shears to trim the dough to about a half-inch overhang. Save the scraps. You can use those to bulk up thin areas of the crust when you’re fluting the edges.
- Crimp the edges either with a fork or by pinching around the edge with your fingers. I did the latter. Keep the dough in the refrigerator while making the filling.
For the filling:
- Heat the evaporated milk in the microwave oven for 1 minute.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine and whisk the 4 eggs and the separated egg yolk. Gradually add the condensed while whisking. Add the vanilla extract and lemon juice, and continue whisking until all ingredients are well combined.
- Add the evaporated milk and mix well with other ingredients.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the egg white until it forms soft peaks.
- Fold the beaten egg white into the mixture. (The beaten egg white will give the top of the egg pie a brown color after baking.)
Baking the Pie:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Pour the filling on the refrigerated pie crust.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 350 degrees F then lower the heat to 325 degrees F and continue baking for 40 to 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the filling comes out clean.
- Remove the egg pie from oven and allow to cool down. Serve with your favorite drink either for dessert or snack.