While the classic recipe opts for apples, a banana-infused pie brings forth a dessert that is softer, airier, and more fragrant. Paired with a delightful cup of tea, this banana sponge cake is a divine treat you won’t want to miss.
- Chicken eggs — 4 pieces
- Flour — 250 grams (about 1.75 cups)
- Sugar — 250 grams (about 1.25 cups)
- Teaspoon of baking powder
- Bananas — 3 pieces
The Most Delicious Banana Sponge Cake: Step-by-Step Recipe
- Take a mixing bowl and crack the eggs into it. Add sugar, then, using a mixer, beat the mixture until it forms a homogeneous consistency. It’s crucial to operate at the maximum speed to achieve a threefold increase in volume, resulting in an airy mass.
- In a separate container, measure out the flour and add a bit of baking powder. Sift the dry ingredients through a sieve for the banana sponge cake and pour them into the beaten egg mass. Mix the consistency with the mixer. The batter should be somewhat thick but elastic, allowing it to stretch well.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (about 350 degrees Fahrenheit). Now, focus on the bananas. Peel them and cut into small pieces, about 2-3 millimeters wide.
- Take a baking dish and grease its edges with vegetable oil. Alternatively, you can use butter for greasing.
- Pour half of the batter into the dish, leveling it along the entire surface. Then, arrange the banana slices, creating a fruity layer. Pour the remaining batter on top, and smooth out the banana sponge cake, reminiscent of grandma’s classic touch.
- Place the baking dish in the oven and bake for approximately 30 minutes. It’s advisable not to open the oven during baking to prevent the dough from not rising (or collapsing).
- The cooking time for banana sponge cake may vary depending on the equipment, so take it out when a uniform golden crust forms.
Tips for Making Banana Pie:
- The most crucial step in making the perfect sponge cake is beating the eggs. Before beating, it’s recommended to chill them in the refrigerator. If you are not using baking soda or a leavening agent, beat the egg yolks and whites separately— this ensures the dough rises properly.
- Sift the flour to avoid forming unnecessary lumps.
- For a fluffier batter, it’s better to use a blender or a food processor.
- The optimal baking temperature for homemade sponge cake is 180 degrees Celsius, no higher—otherwise, the pie may not bake through.
By following the recipe and recommendations, you’ll undoubtedly create an astonishingly fluffy banana sponge cake. Enjoy your baking adventure!