Prep : 10 mins,
Cook : 24 mins
Yield: 8 Servings
- 2 cups cornmeal, yellow or white
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar, optional
- 1 cup buttermilk*
- 3 large eggs
- 1 can (approx. 15 ounces) cream-style corn
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
How to Make It
- Grease a 9-inch square baking pan or iron skillet. Heat oven to 425°.
- Combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, soda, salt, and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk together the buttermilk* and eggs; stir in the cream-style corn and melted butter.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients just until blended.
- Spoon into the prepared baking pan or iron skillet.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown and the cornbread springs back when lightly touched with a finger.
- *If you don’t have buttermilk, measure 1 cup of milk into a measuring cup. Remove 1 tablespoon of the milk and replace it with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or white vinegar. Let the mixture stand for about 10 minutes.
Tips and Variations
- Bacon Cheese Cornbread – Add about 1/4 cup of crumbled bacon to the cornbread batter along with 1 cup of coarsely grated cheddar cheese. Optionally, add 1/4 cup of sliced green onions.
- Jalapeno and Cheese Cornbread – Add 1 cup of coarsely shredded cheddar or pepper jack cheese and 4 to 6 tablespoons of finely chopped (seeded) jalapeno peppers.