Shurpa, the legendary soup of Eastern cuisine, is a delightful blend of tender meat, hearty vegetables, and aromatic herbs. This rich and flavorsome soup will take your taste buds on a journey to the heart of traditional Uzbek cuisine.
The combination of succulent lamb or beef with the earthiness of potatoes, sweetness of bell peppers, and tanginess of tomatoes creates a harmonious symphony of flavors in each spoonful. The warm and comforting aroma will fill your kitchen, inviting everyone to gather around the table for a memorable meal. Whether you’re a seasoned fan of Uzbek cuisine or eager to explore new culinary horizons, shurpa will captivate your senses and leave you craving for more. So, gather the ingredients, follow the simple steps, and immerse yourself in the culinary magic of this legendary soup!
- 500g lamb or beef
- 5-6 potatoes
- 2 bell peppers
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 large carrot
- 1 large onion
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- Green herbs to taste
- In a cauldron or a large pot, sauté the onion in vegetable oil.
- Add the meat and brown it well.
- While the meat is browning, cut the carrot and bell pepper into thin strips.
- Add the diced tomatoes to the cooked meat.
- Then add the bell pepper and carrot and sauté them for a short while.
- Transfer everything to a pot (or leave it in the cauldron if using one), add tomato paste and enough water to cover the meat and vegetables.
- Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Peel and dice the potatoes.
- Add the potatoes to the meat and vegetables. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until the potatoes are tender.
- Towards the end, add the crushed garlic. Cover with a lid. Turn off the heat and let it sit for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve with fresh green herbs.