We are used to the fact that onions, as a rule, always serve as an additional ingredient in a variety of salads, side dishes and fillings. But they can be a dish in its own right. For example, pickled onions with beets, not only surprise you with their wonderful taste, but also become an original decoration of the festive table.
- Small to medium sized onions 500 g
- Beets 1 kg
- Cloves 4 pcs.
- Bay leaf 2 pcs.
- Black pepper peas 5 pcs.
- Fresh thyme 4 sprigs.
- Water 250 ml
- Honey 3 tbsp.
- Vinegar 80 ml.
- Salt 1 tsp.
- To prepare the marinade, put honey, vinegar, salt and pour water over it.
- Bring the marinade to a boil over low heat, then add the peeled onions and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- At the bottom of a sterilized jar, place the peeled and sliced beets, cloves, bay leaf, black pepper, thyme, and gently place the hot onions on top.
- Fill the onions with the marinade in which they were cooked and cover with a sterile lid.
- Leave the dish until it cools to room temperature.
- After that, take the jar to the refrigerator to infuse (at least 12 hours).
- These onions can be served as an appetizer or side dish.