- 4 lasagna noodles
- 4 large green bell peppers, halved and seeds and veins removed
- 19 ounces mild Italian sausage
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 egg2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
- Cook lasagna noodles in the boiling water, stirring occasionally, until tender yet firm to the bite, about 8 minutes.
- Cut each noodle into 4 equal pieces.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C
- Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil; place bell pepper halves on top.
- Bake in the preheated oven until peppers soften, about 20 minutes.
- While peppers bake, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook sausage and onion until browned, about 8 minutes. Add tomato sauce, garlic, and oregano and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes more.
- Remove peppers from oven and pour off any excess liquid. Leave oven on.
- Whisk ricotta cheese, egg, Parmesan cheese, and basil together in a small mixing bowl.
- Layer each bell pepper half with 2 tablespoons sausage mixture, 1 noodle piece, and 1 tablespoon ricotta mixture. Repeat layers and sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top of each pepper.
- Place stuffed peppers on the baking sheet.
- Bake stuffed peppers in the preheated oven until cheese is browned and bubbly, about 25 minutes