A few interesting ingredients take this Jamaican Banana Bread to a tropical place from which you will not want to return. Banana bread with an island twist.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups mashed ripe banana (about 3 bananas)
- 1/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt (or pina colada flavored!!)
- 3 tablespoons dark rum OR apple cider
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup flaked sweetened coconut
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon flaked sweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime or lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking soda, and salt, stirring with a whisk.
- Place granulated sugar and butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add banana, yogurt, rum, and vanilla; beat until blended.
- Add flour mixture; beat at low speed just until moist. Stir in 1/2 cup coconut.
- Spoon batter into a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon coconut.
- Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pan.
- Combine powdered sugar and juice, stirring with a whisk; drizzle over warm bread. Cool completely on wire rack.
Serving Size 1 slice
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat 12g
Saturated Fat 8g
Trans Fat 0g
Unsaturated Fat 4g
Carbohydrates 95g Fiber 3g
Delicious! My first time using this recipe and will definitely do it again. I followed directions and measurements, changing nothing and it was perfect. Next time I will probably add nuts only because my husband asked for them. Recipe doesn’t need them in my opinion.
This was excellent! I would definitely make again!
I used Grand Mariner instead of rum, I also used a tablespoon in the frosting, along with orange juice!
I used 1 cup finely ground almonds in place of one cup of flour!…..it worked really well with this recipe!
Will definitely pass this recipe on and will use again!
Made this exactly as written. I will never make “regular” banana bread again! This recipe is the bomb!!!
I was tired if plain old banana bread. I tried this recipe and it was excellent. I added tart cherries for extra flavor. Yum!
Yum! A wonderful recipe that changes up regular banana bread! I added toasted pecans in my trial batch and didn’t regret. This recipe would be great for a tropical brunch! Thanks for sharing!