If you’re looking for a delicious snack or appetizer to serve at your next gathering, why not try making some Pennerli with Cheese and Bacon? These Swiss-inspired pastries are made with a quick and easy yeast dough, filled with a mixture of shredded mozzarella and Swiss cheese, and topped with crispy bacon bits.
To make the dough, whisk together eggs, melted margarine, sugar, salt, dry milk, warm water, and yeast. Add in 800-900g of flour to form a soft, pliable dough. Let the dough rest for 30 minutes, covered in a warm place.
Meanwhile, prepare the filling by mixing shredded mozzarella and Swiss cheese, and cutting bacon into small pieces.
Divide the dough into 20 equal pieces and shape them into balls. Flatten each ball into an oval, press down twice with the bottom of a glass, and make cuts around the edges to form a boat shape. Fill each boat with bacon and cheese mixture, and brush with beaten egg.
Bake the Pennerli in a preheated oven at 180°C for 30-40 minutes, until golden brown and crispy. Serve warm and enjoy the gooey, savory goodness of these cheesy bites.
Note: You can also make Pennerli with non-yeast dough, but the dough with yeast gives a more delicious result.
- 2 eggs
- 100g melted margarine
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons dry milk
- 1.5 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon dry yeast (9g)
- 800-900g all-purpose flour
- 200g shredded mozzarella cheese
- 200g shredded Swiss cheese
- 100g bacon, cut into small pieces
- 1 egg, beaten
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, melted margarine, sugar, salt, dry milk, warm water, and dry yeast until well combined.
- Gradually add in 800-900g of flour, stirring until a soft and pliable dough forms.
- Cover the bowl with a damp cloth and let the dough rest for 30 minutes in a warm place.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the shredded mozzarella and Swiss cheese, and cut the bacon into small pieces.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Divide the dough into 20 equal pieces and shape them into balls.
- Flatten each ball into an oval shape and use the bottom of a glass to press down twice to create a boat shape.
- Make cuts around the edges of each boat and fill each with a mixture of cheese and bacon pieces.
- Brush the top of each Pennerli with beaten egg.
- Place the Pennerli onto a baking tray lined with parchment paper and bake in the preheated oven for 30-40 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and serve warm.
Enjoy the delicious and cheesy Pennerli with Bacon as a tasty snack or appetizer for any occasion!