Onion soup is a traditional French dish. It used to be prepared by the poor, but now it can be found on the menu of the most chic French restaurants. Today we will make such a fragrant and tasty soup at home.
To make about 2 liters of onion soup, you will need:
- 2-3 medium sized onions
- 50 grams of butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 liters of beef broth or any other broth (water can be used if you want)
- Fine vermicelli – “cobwebs”
- Bread (French baguette)
- Grated cheese
Here we go:
- First, you need to finely chop the onion and place it in a large skillet where the butter has been previously melted.
- Fry the onions on medium heat for about 20 minutes, until they get a golden color.
- Then add to the fried onions a tablespoon of granulated sugar and a tablespoon of flour mix. Fry the mixture for 5-7 minutes.
- Add to the pan about 500 ml of broth or water (if the pan is small, then pour as much liquid as its volume allows) and cook until the mixture begins to boil.
- This mixture should turn golden brown.
- Pour the boiling mixture into a pot and add the remaining 1.5 liters of stock, bring everything to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Toss the noodles in the boiling soup and simmer for another 10 minutes, the amount of noodles depends only on your taste.
- While the vermicelli is boiling you need to prepare the garlic croutons and grate the cheese.
- For the croutons you need a baguette cut into slices, but if you don’t have any, then bread cut into small pieces will do.
- Croutons for onion soup are fried in butter on both sides until golden brown, after the croutons cooled they are rubbed with a head of garlic and salted.
- Serve the soup hot, put the croutons in it and sprinkle them with cheese.