- ½ kilo lean pork (kasim or pork shoulder will be fine) pound till flat then slice into bite sizes
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 drops KNORR Seasoning liquid
- few drops of sesame oil (optional)
- 1 beaten egg plus 2 more beaten eggs to be used later
- 2 Tbsp sweet potato starch
Ingredients for the broth:
- 6 to 7 cups broth (6 cups water and 2 Tbsp. chicken powder or 1 piece pork/chicken broth cube)
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce
- Ingredients for the slurry or thickening agent:
- 4 to 6 Tbsp. sweet potato starch
- 6 Tbsp. water
- Ingredients for the mami:
- mami noodles (egg noodles), dried or fresh
- Combine all the ingredients of the pork mixture; pork slices, soy sauce, garlic, seasoning liquid, sesame oil, 1 beaten egg, sweet potato starch. Mix until all the pork slices are coated with the mixture. Set aside.
- Then on a separate bowl, mix together 6 tablespoon sweet potato starch and 6 tablespoon water to make a slurry. You can can add more tablespoon of sweet potato starch to make the soup thicker.
- In a medium size pot, boil the broth mixture (broth and soy sauce) then add the pork slices one by one in the pot. Let the broth boil till the pork cooks. The cooking time won’t take long because the pounded meat is already tenderized and will cook fast.
- While the soup is boiling after the pork is cooked, add the thickening mixture (the slurry) slowly and mix the soup vigorously. Let it boil till it becomes glossy and bubbly.
- Then add salt and pepper to taste and a little bit of sugar, about ¼ teaspoon or more.
- Turn off the heat and while the soup is hot add the beaten egg slowly while whisking the soup.
- To prepare the mami, if you bought dried mami noodles, cook according the package directions. Usually you only need to boil it. Fresh mami on the other hand only need to be soaked in boiling water for a few minutes then drain.
- To prepare the maki mi soup, get a medium serving bowl and put some cooked mami. Then pour it with the thick maki soup. Garnish it by sprinkling chopped scallion or green onions. Serve hot and enjoy!